Delray Beach’s new Arts Warehouse is preparing to open this fall! The first program being developed is an annual juried exhibition, and they have announced a Special Call to Artists.
They are seeking professional artists who live or work in Delray Beach or Palm Beach County to create/submit an iconic work of art that symbolizes “A Day in the Life of Delray Beach.” The Call is open to all Palm Beach County residents; one submission per artist. Artwork selected will be featured in the Inaugural Exhibit at the Arts Warehouse. Images of artworks and artist may be featured in upcoming promotions and press as part of the opening of the Arts Warehouse.
CRITERIA FOR SUBMISSION:
- Artwork must be dedicated specifically for the theme of “A Day in the Life of Delray Beach.” [Please Note: While the beach is an important focal point of the city, they are not looking for all “beach” related work. There is a lot happening in Delray Beach, from architecture, to music, the arts, schools, communities and more!
- All two-dimensional media is acceptable for submission including paintings, prints, drawings, photography, collage, textiles, metal, assemblage, ceramic relief and mixed media. Small or large scale.
- Judging will be based upon overall quality, creativity and vision of each work.
- Professional Artists who are eligible to apply must be residents of Palm Beach County. Residents of the City of Delray Beach will be given first consideration for this exhibit.
- All images must be 300 dpi or higher.
- All images must include artist’s name, title, date, medium, size in file name and a very brief 3-4 sentence paragraph explaining what the “Day in the Life of Delray Beach” moment captures. Please put all this information on one page.
EMAIL IMAGE & INFORMATION TO: Jill Brown by August 11, 2017: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Artists will be notified on or before August 18, 2017. Please no phone calls or emails.
- After work has been accepted, a substitution cannot be made nor a change in the artwork or titles as submitted.
- Artists will be providing the rights of the image to be used by the Delray Beach CRA and the Arts Warehouse for promotional use.
- Artwork must remain up the entire show. Pick up times will be provided.
- The Artist can elect to sell the work on exhibit. An Artist’s Sales Agreement must be executed prior to exhibiting the art with the Delray Beach CRA/Arts Warehouse. The Sales Agreement will be provided prior to the exhibit.
The warehouse is still under construction, so the show will open sometime between August and October. As the building completion gets closer, selected artists will be informed of the confirmed show dates and the drop off/pick up dates.
The Arts Warehouse is one of the Delray Beach CRA’s newest and most exciting projects. In 2010, the CRA purchased a 15,000 sq. ft. warehouse in the Pineapple Grove Arts District for conversion to an arts center/business incubator. The project implements the Arts-Based Economic Development Program identified in the Community Redevelopment Plan and the City’s Comprehensive Plan. The promotion of the arts and accommodation of cultural activities in the Pineapple Grove area enhances Delray’s image as an arts destination which will further contribute to the City’s economy. The facility may accommodate uses such as: studios for rent by local and visiting artists; gallery and exhibit space; classroom and workshop space; food preparation area for catering events on site; administrative offices; and space for rent to businesses that will collaborate with and/or provide support services to artists. In June 2014 the CRA selected the local architectural firm of Currie, Sowards, Aguila to design the improvements to convert the warehouse to suit the various uses.