November 9 (Thursday) 10:00 am - February 25 (Sunday) 5:00 pm
Cornell Art Museum
51 N. Swinton Ave. Delray Beach, Florida 33444
The Cornell Art Museum at
The Cornell Art Museum at Old School Square presents Looking Glass, a group exhibition featuring contemporary artwork that immerses the viewer into the piece by creating their own reflection. The viewer and the space around the piece become a part of the work itself.
The exhibition was chosen as the first show in the newly renovated interior to showcase the Museum like never before and to illustrate the Museum’s mission to present the best and brightest in contemporary art and to serve our community of visitors and artists from Delray Beach and across the globe. Viewers will experience a sense of belonging and literally see themselves in the museum.
Art Selfies are encouraged, tag us and we’ll share your posts!
Looking Glass will feature artists who have considered the reflection as a part of the work:
- Leah Brown and Peter Symons (Ft. Lauderdale) have collaborated on an installation piece, which immerses the viewer into a prism.
- Ryan Everston (Portland, OR) will show a sculptural typography-based work.
- Guillaume Lachapelle (Montreal) has used mirrors in four pieces depicting scenes that seem to capture infinity.
- Lee Northwick (UK) will show a large hanging work.
- Jeremy Penn (Brooklyn) has created 10 word-based, pop pieces that use the reflection of the viewer as in integral part of the piece.
- Lilibeth Rasmussen (Denmark) will exhibit mannequin-like mirrored sculptures as well as a performance piece featuring mirrored costumes.
- Daniel Rozin (New York City) is showing work that reflects the viewer’s movements through use of projection and technology.
- Chris Wood (UK) is contributing three pieces that use a reflective glass that allows some light to enter, causing an array of different colored reflections on the walls around the piece.
Opening Celebration: Wednesday, November 8th, 7-9 pm
Exhibition Dates: November 9-February 25
Museum hours: Tuesday-Saturday, 10 am-5 pm; Sunday, 1-5 pm. Closed Mondays and holidays.
Admission: $8 (general); $5 (seniors 65+ and students with ID)
Free admission for children under 12, Old School Square members and Veterans
Free admission for Florida residents on Sunday.
Featured image: “Muse,” paint, ink, metal, paper and spray paint on aluminum and wood, Jeremy Penn, 2015